Monday, November 30, 2009

Why do we pay to "abuse" our bodies?

It is an inevitable question. I knew it will be coming. It is really silly. Yan read it in one of the magazine. The editor who used to run in marathon actually commented that people who do the full marathon run is: crazy!


So while having a farewell lunch today for a college, who incidentally going for the full marathon this Sunday like me, a friend commented: Why people pay money to torture themselves like that? 


Well, I can't say it better than what I found in the "The Mystique of The Marathon" which appears in Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide. You can read it here.


Overall, it is the enjoyment of knowing myself through the training. There are fears to overcome. I must admit that there was an occasion in my training, I actually gave up in one of my long runs. It took me a week to overcome that fear and prepare myself adequately for an even longer run (just to prove to myself that I can do it, and it was just due to fatigue or inadequate rest in the night before).




No comments: